Living Off-Campus

Living off-campus can be a fun and exciting time, but you should also be aware of your rights and your responsibilities as a tenant, roommate, neighbor, and community member. Make sure that you are also aware of your surroundings at all times and take all safety precautions to make sure you have a safe and healthy living experience off-campus. To download the latest version of the Off-Campus Living Guide, a comprehensive guide on how to have a successful off-campus living experience, visit the Non Resident (Off-Campus) Living Guide (PDF).

UiTM Non Rsident Management Unit (UPNR) is also a great resource. Not only can they provide free rental reviews, but they also offer free legal advice to current students who have legal questions regarding Landlord-Tenant Law and can assist with landlord-tenant issues. The Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) is located at Kompleks Prima Siswa, UiTM ShaH Alam.

Make your off-campus living experience a memorable one. Take precautions, use common sense, and of course enjoy.

Common Problems

While living in your off-campus apartment/house, you may have questions about your rights, your landlord's responsibilities, which Non Resident (Off-Campus) Student Services and/or The Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) can assist you with. You may, unfortunately, run into some problems or have issues that you are not quite sure how to deal with.UPNR and JPNR will work with you to help you come to a resolution.

Getting Repairs

  • When you need a repair made in your apartment/house, you usually call your landlord to make the repair request. This is fine, but you need to always follow-up in writing. Send the written request to your landlord (hand deliver and get signed by office representative or certified mail) and always keep a copy for your records. Visit The Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) for a sample "Notice To Repair" (PDF Document) letter as well as additional information on getting repairs.
  • The landlord typically has up to 30 days to repair non-emergency problems. If after 30 days of receiving the repair request in writing, the landlord has still not fixed the problem, you have a few options. (Remember: You must be current on your rent!).
    • * Option 1: Rent Escrow
    • * Option 2: Terminate the Rental
    • Option 3: Take Legal Action To Recover Money Damages

Problems With Your Landlord

  • Sexual Harassment & Discrimination
    • If you feel you have been sexually harassed by your landlord or his/her employee, contact the Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) immediately.
    • If you feel your landlord or their employee has discriminated against you (PDF Document), contact the Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) immediately.
  • Sale of Property
    • During your rental term, it is possible that your landlord will sell the building you are living in .Even if you get a new landlord mid-year, your current rental still remains valid (but exceptions to exist).
  • Unlawful Entry
    • Your landlord is required to provide 24 hours notice prior to entering the premises in non-emergency instances. If you are having issues with your landlord entering unlawfully , contact the Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) immediately. You also want to send a "Notice of Unlawful Entry" (PDF Document) to your landlord (make sure to keep a copy for your records).
  • Eviction
    • Your landlord has the right to evict a tenant for various reasons.
    • Your landlord must follow certain procedures when evicting a tenant.
    • If you are being evicted, you should contact the Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) immediately!
  • Noisy Neighbors
    • If you are having issues with neighbors in your building being excessively loud and disruptive, contact your landlord/ community commitee immediately so that they are aware of the situation. If the problem persists, you may want to contact the police to report a noise disturbance. Make sure to keep a copy of the police report for your records, and send a copy to your landlord.
    • If you are being evicted for noise violations, make sure you are aware of your rights and responsibilities. Contact the Non Resident Management Unit (UPNR) immediately .